Normally I'd drink mint tea that comes in a bag, but I love to have it with fresh mint leaves as well.
Mak said that its also good to eat it as ulam.
The nutritional value of mint
~ Mint contains a number of vitamins and minerals, which are vital to maintain a healthy body.
~ Mint is rich in Vitamins A and C and also contains smaller amounts of Vitamin B2.
~ Mint also contains a wide range of essential minerals such as manganese, copper, iron, potassium and calcium.
The medicinal properties of mint
* Medicinally to aid digestion and relieve indigestion, drinking a cup of peppermint tea after meal may help.
* The chemical compound menthol, which is obtained from peppermint oil, is well known for its healing properties on the chest and respiratory system.
Mint is also said and in many cases proven to:
* Relieve symptoms of indigestion, heartburn and irritable bowel syndrome by relaxing the muscles in and around the intestine.
* Act as a powerful antioxidant, protecting the body against the formation of cancerous cells.
* Inhibit the growth of many different types of bacteria and fungus.
* Ease and unblock the breathing and respiratory passages and airways.
* Relieves the symptoms of colds and flu.
* Mint can help with nasal allergies.
* It can relieve congestion, head colds and headaches.
* Act as a mild sedative and has calming properties.
* Relieve minor aches and pains such as muscle cramps and sprains.
* Combat bad breath.
* Provides a cooling sensation to the skin and can help to treat minor burns, itching and skin irritations.
* Mint is a very good cleanser for the blood.
* Mint tea can help clear up skin disorders such as acne.
(Had this tea at a Lebanese restaurant)
Tips to brewing an excellent fresh mint tea :
* Drinking herbal mint tea reduces irritated bowel syndromes and cleanses the stomach.
Mint is used in a variety of ways, but the most common is through the brewing of mint tea.
Fresh mint tea can be made by pouring hot, but not boiling, water over fresh leaves of mint. When preparing mint tea, it is important that the preparation be covered while it is steeping to prevent the valuable volatile oils from evaporating.
Milk and sweetener can be used optionally.
* The anti-fungal properties associated with mint help in curing asthma and other allergic conditions.
* Mint helps in getting rid of headaches and migraines.
Enjoy your mint tea!