Wanting to know Angie and the gang from "Cats-from-Sydney" (blog here) better? :-)
Article : 13 Things You Didn’t Know About Cats (here)
(from Essential Cat)
1. Nose-to-nose greetings between cats are unusual, as it puts both in a vulnerable position. However, cats who know each other well but have been apart for a while feel safe enough to do this to confirm visual recognition and gain information about how the other cat is, where he has been and what he has been doing.
2. Purring usually indicates contentment, however, a deep purr can also indicate pain. If you know your cat well you will be able to tell the difference in his demeanor.
3. Cats start to purr at one week old and can do so continually as they inhale and exhale.
4. Young cats purr in a monotone, while older ones do so in two to three resonant notes.
5. Scientist still do not know exactly how the purring sound is made, although some believe that it originates in the cardiovascular system rather than the throat.
6. Cats appear to retain their kitten vocal signals to communicate with their owners, but they use and adult repertoire of sound with other cats.
7. Like dogs, cats can also get sick or die from eating chocolate.
8. Cats like to nap rather than sleep but if relaxed enough to enter a deeper sleep, they produce the same brain wave patterns that we do when we dream.
9. Cats blink and narrow their eyes when they accidentally make eye contact. To make friends with an unfamiliar cat, blink and look away when you catch his eyes
10. A cat’s pulse is between 160-240 beats per minute, depending on the age of the cat (the younger he is, the faster the heartbeat.)
11. Cats cannot understand punishment as humans do, they must be praised and rewarded for desired behavior instead.
12. Giving your cat a strip of raw meat everyday to chew on will keep his gums and teeth in good condition. Suitable meats include poultry, rabbit, or beef that has been deboned.
13. If your cat appears to be able to tolerate heat very well this is because the ancestors of cats were originally desert-living animals.
Found interesting facts online about Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon you) and cats...Allahu'alam.
The Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) was tender and kind towards cats.
Muezza was the Prophet Muhammad's (p.b.u.h) favorite cat. The most famous story about Muezza recounts how when the call to prayer was given, and as the Prophet (p.b.u.h) went to put on his robes, he found his cat sleeping on one of the sleeves, and instead of disturbing the cat, he(p.b.u.h) cut off the sleeve and let the cat sleep. When he returned, Muezza awoke and bowed down to the Prophet (p.b.u.h) and in return he stroked the cat three times.
It is also believed that when the Prophet (p.b.u.h)would give sermons within his household he would often hold Muezza in his lap.
Allah's Apostle said, "A woman was tortured and was put in Hell because of a cat which she had kept locked till it died of hunger." Allah's Apostle further said, "(Allah knows better) Allah said (to the woman), 'You neither fed it nor watered when you locked it up, nor did you set it free to eat the insects of the earth.' " Hadith - Bukhari 3:553, Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar [Also in Muslim, Narrated Abu Huraira]
[The story of the women mentioned above is recited. It seems that the woman was scratched by the cat and to punish the cat she imprisoned it and failed to feed it. Her actions were frowned upon and she was duly punished.]
Abu Hurayrah, famous as a companion of the Prophet (saw) and a major narrator of his sayings. Was given the nickname Abu Hurayrah (literally father of Kittens) by the Prophet because he used to care for a small male cat. ("Cat" word comes from the Arabic word qit/Hirra but a tiny male cat is called hurayrah, or thus In Arabic, hirra means cat and hurayra means a kitten.)
"Those who are kind and considerate to Allah's creatures, Allah bestows His kindness and affection on them. Show kindness to the creatures on the earth so that Allah may be kind to you." Hadith - Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi