Friday 19 December 2008

One Day...



I have the tendency of saving things for "special occasions", always with 'just-in-case' excuse....


"I'll wear that new dress at least once", "use that new bedsheets", "take out that dinner sets" etc, etc, etc...


but, I still have "new" things somewhere in the house.


********************************

A friend of mine opened his wife's underwear drawer and picked up a silk paper-wrapped package:

'This, - he said - isn't any ordinary package.'


He unwrapped the box and stared at both the silk paper and the box

'She got this the first time we went to New York, 8 or 9 years ago. She has never put it on, was saving it for a special occasion. Well, I guess this is it.'

He got near the bed and placed the gift box next to the other clothing he was taking to the funeral parlour – his wife had just died.

He turned to me and said: 'Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion.'

I still think those words changed my life.Now I read more and clean less

I sit in the garden without worrying about anything

I spend more time with my family, and less at work

I understood that life should be a source of experience to be lived up to, not survived through.

I no longer keep anything.

I use crystal glasses every day.

I'll wear new clothes to go to the supermarket, if I feel like it

I don't save my special perfume for special occasions; I use it whenever I want to.

The words 'someday...' and 'one day..' are fading away from my dictionary.

If it's worth seeing, listening or doing, I want to see, listen or do it now.


I don't know what my friend's wife would have done if she knew she wouldn't be there the next morning; this nobody can tell.


I think she might have called her relatives and closest friends. She might call old friends to make peace over past quarrels.


I'd like to think she would go out for a Chinese, her favourite food.

It's these small things that I would regret not doing, if I knew my time had come


Each day, each hour, each minute, is special. Live for today, for tomorrow is promised to no-one.

'One day' is far away... or might never come...



**********************************

No comments:

Been a while since I joined "Virtual Run" (VR), and with long MCO - Movement Control Order (and no interest from family members..h...