Saturday 12 March 2011

Passion fruit

Yesterday when a friend of mine said she'd give me some "buah markisa"..I thought, eh?..Wasn't sure what it was, so I just said ok, tq.

When I got it, was told that I've had the "markisa" juice before...mmm..

"Checking" the fruit at home...





(Had that with evaporated milk ~ as advised if it "taste sour", 
n I added banana and kiwi fruit, just in case..hehe).


mmm..I still wasn't sure what it was until I checked online...
laaaa...its passion fruit rupanya..hehehehe...

No wonder my officemate said I'd drunk the juice before, she's used to see me drink processed juices during lunchtime.
[thou now I try to curb my habit ~ less processed juices and less cold drinks..:) ]

Okay, the results of my search online on this (as usual I love to find the benefits of what goes into me).. :-)

****************

There are two types of passion fruits, one yellow coloured and the other purple coloured. Both these types taste alike and contain a pulp which looks like jelly, but tastes sour.




Passion fruit is rich in carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins such as A, B and C and minerals such as iron, calcium and water.



Health Benefits:

* Passion fruit juice is an excellent digestive stimulant and helps in the treatment of other gastric ailments.


* Passion fruit seeds contain high amount of fiber that the body needs to cleanse the colon, improve digestion, and help prevent heart attacks and strokes.


* Passion fruit is high in vitamin A which helps the body to remove free radicals that cause skin and tissue damage, and it also helps to improve our vision.




* It is also rich in Vitamin C which helps to repair tissue, helps prevent heart disease and cancer and helps our bones.


* There is also a compound in passion fruit that is believed to block histamine, reduce allergy and inflammation; passion fruit therefore has the health benefit of reducing the symptoms of asthma.


* The antioxidants found in passion fruit have been found to inhibit the growth of cancer cells.





22 comments:

papabear said...

my in laws suka jus markisa :)

TK said...

Hi Cheqna..makan buah je hari ni..teringat2 coklat u hari tu..
Kawan you tanam ke pokok tu. Zaman I kecik2 dulu org suka tanam pokok markisar. Nowadays I tak pnah nampak pun pokok markisar lagi.
I love passion fruit juice tapi yg kita beli contains preservative, food coloring and too much sugar. Kalau dapat makan yang natural fruit segar dari ladang tu yg bagus tu. Jarang jumpa buah ni..

i amsterdam said...

Good info on the benefits : antioksidant, prevent heart disease & cancer - that's good.

By the way, could you please check what is inside "evaporated milk", I do not why, I just have this feeling that it is not so good :(

Unknown said...

buah markisa sy pnh makan pun seumur hidup sbb kat sini susah nk dpt

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Cheqna,
It's in abundance in summer. Mama would sometimes mix it with plain yoghurt....yummmm.... or as decor on cakes. Sedap..... Oh, next time, could you please use fresh milk instead of evaporated? purrr....meow!

waliz said...

my fren told me to cut the top of the fruit, put some condensed milk into the pulps and keep it in the freezer until its frozen.its taste better like that but i never try ..ki$$$ :))

Bie said...

dah jarang dah jumpa buah nih...gpon dah lama tak makan hehe..
singgah jenguk gak ishout tak dapat bukak plak

NARDtheNERD said...

i love esprit passion fruit...
used to like it long before..
now dah tak minum coz too much sugar.
hehe.

nurun said...

i sukee jus markisa kt cosway. sodap.

Cheqna said...

Papabear,

too much juices from cartons that now dah confuse..hehe..

:-)

Cheqna said...

TK,

minum all the juices tapi tak pernah terfikir asal usul buahnya dari mana..hehe..but I got this ones from my friend yang baru balik from Johor, so kat sana banyak kot

chocolates? takut nak buat selalu..hehe

:-)

Cheqna said...

I.A dear,

evaporated not good? not sure of that, but we normally use/buy that compare to the creamer ones.

and I especially like having it with puddings..hehe

:-)

Cheqna said...

Nick,

tak dapat yg buahnya, minum jus ajelah..tp bukan yg guna perisa je, tak aci :-)

Cheqna said...

Cats dear,

its almost summer all year round here but tak nampak pun..hehe..ye ye I know, u r health concious, tapi fresh milk dok sedak ahh..:)

fresh milk buat cocoa drink mmm..yummy..haha, teringat dolu2.. pagi2 dah tunggu milk man sampai sebab nak yg fresh.

:-)

Cheqna said...

Waliz,

feeling cold fikirkan the fruit dlm freezer..or is it the air-con in my room ni sejuk sangat..hehe..

thanks for the tips n smiles.

:-)

Cheqna said...

Bie,

at least dah pernah jumpa buah ni b4..hehe.

oh, ntahlah tak tau apasal settings tu "lari2" (sebenarnya tak pandai nak usik apa kat settings pun..haha)

:-)

Cheqna said...

Naddy,

oh patutlah u dah kurus sikit (according to posting kat your blog)..dah tak minum juice2 ni ye...hehe

:-)

Cheqna said...

Nurun,

ye ke? nanti I check out kat buku cosway..tp beli tak sure lah..hehe..

:-)

.. said...

nyummy...rrr starving

Cheqna said...

Pacek,

have a break, pegi kedai n makan..hehe

:-)

thomas said...

never seen this fruit before,is it the same as buah delima?

Cheqna said...

Thomas,

same boat kita with this fruit, was my first time too then. buah delima is bigger and different taste ~ good for health as well :-)

Been a while since I joined "Virtual Run" (VR), and with long MCO - Movement Control Order (and no interest from family members..h...